The Ministry of Aviation was founded in April 1933. The Ministry headed by Hermann Goering had since May 1933 both civil aviation and the air force in its portfolio. Thus arose the need for a new building for the Ministry for which contract was awarded to Ernst Sagebiel in December 1934.
In October 1935 the first 1,000 offices of the Ministry were ready for use. Total time of construction of the huge Ministry with 2,000 offices, several conference rooms and a car park for 240 cars was less than 15 months.
The Ministry endured the Second World War virtually unscathed and is still one of the largest buildings in Berlin.
After the war the building was occupied by the Russians and was used to house the military administration. At this time, it functions as the Ministry of Finance. The building breathes an atmosphere of coldness, a coldness which is typical for the memories of the Third Reich.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Mario Huinink & STIWOT
- Photos: Mario Huinink (1), Fedor de Vries (2) & Rob Korteland (3,4)